Friday, May 26, 2006

A Test

I'm curious to see if my Dad reads my blog so I've decided to create this little test. If he passes, he'll know he's going to be getting one of his favorite novels on DVD soon. If he fails, he'll get a surprise when it arrives.
Here are the particulars. My Dad is an avid John LeCarre fan. One of his favorite novels by John LeCarre is Smiley's People. Back in 1982, the BBC made the novel into a mini-series starring Sir Alec Guinness. It is a superb series and one my Dad very much wanted to own. There was only one problem. It was only in the British tv format. I kept checking on it to see if I could get it in the American tv format as I knew it was something Dad would really like to have and it isn't easy finding things I can buy for Dad! Finally, they recently released it in the American tv format and I planned to buy it only to have it suggested to me that I should hold off till some special day came up like his birthday to give it to him. I thought the suggestion good and held off until now. If you don't know, Father's Day is coming up and I thought that was a good time to get it for him. Plus, I want to buy it for him before he buys it for himself. So I did and it is supposedly enroute now. Which brings me back to this test, if Dad reads my blog, he'll know it's on its way. If not, well you the reader will know something he doesn't.
I hope he enjoys the DVDs and has a great Father's Day. He's been a great Dad especially the last year. The transition to civilian life has been hard for me. Through it all, Dad has been a great source of support. Plus, he's cheered me up a lot too. It's easy to get down when so many things are uncertain. Dad doesn't allow me to stay in the dumps. We'll see how things turn out but I know I can count on an encouraging word from him. I look forward to the day when I'll FINALLY get my degree from the University of Maryland and make him even more proud. Cheers!

No comments: