Saturday, May 20, 2006

SHARE

I got to help out at SHARE yesterday. I haven't been able to help out there in over a month and a half. I've been busy with work and college plus when I finally got free, they had finished delivering last month's packages and were taking a well deserved break. This time however, I was able to make it down there for Distribution Friday. I'd wrapped up my spring college class last week and I had Friday off work wise. It was great to see all the folks that work there. Sam was his usual cheerful self. Scott was his usual hectic self running around trying to do all the things expected of the general manager. Jingle was Jingle, ever smiling and always ready with a warm welcome. Chris was his usual kind self. Debbie too gave me a wave as she rang up the sales at the register. Herbert was busy helping out where needed. Ollie was busy arranging the shipment of food items for future food packages. And Krystal and Natasha (I hope I have her name right) were busy in the office. These folks are amazing when you think how much food they process every month.
I ended up helping with the master orders. Master orders are where you give out cases or sacks of items. A customer's order will be split into three parts. You'll have the split part where they'll receive items that make up less than a case or sack ex. 10 boxes of cornbread mix (the case holds 24 boxes). Once they get all their split items, they see Chris if they have a special package orders. This month's special package were four t-bone steaks. After they're done with Chris, they come to the section where I was working. I got to work with Sydney who is an old-timer at SHARE. He told me of times past at SHARE. He pointed out one gentleman who brought his young daughter to SHARE to help out. The girl was barely able to lift one big onion when she started. She's now attending college. He also told me about when SHARE received so many orders they had to do distribution days TWICE a month. Sadly, thanks to people moving and churches withdrawing from the program, the numbers have gone down though Scott is doing every thing he can to help them come back up.
I found out from Scott that SHARE now accepts Visa, Mastercard, and Debit card at the SHARE warehouse. I suspect this will help greatly order wise and hopefully get more people to buy packages. Eventually, Scott plans to have it where the host sites will be able to have customers pay that way.
I also found out SHARE is having a sale on SHARE merchandise. Hats, t-shirts, jackets, and mugs are all on sale. (I was proudly wearing my SHARE long sleeve t-shirt!). It's a great chance for those who want to show they're part of the SHARE team to show their support for SHARE and show their SHARE colors. I plan to buy a SHARE hat.
Lastly, I have to mention Mrs. Henderson (again I hope I have to name right, yes Kevin I haven't forgotten I got your name wrong and called you Mark, duh). She is a retired schoolteacher who still has a no-nonsense manner. There are set ways to do things and that is how she will do them and how YOU will do them. She is also a fantastic cook. I think one of the main things I missed not being able to help out last month was her cooking. Every Market Day Monday, Mrs. Henderson fixes something for lunch for the people at SHARE. The food has been consistently outstanding and is a serious treat for anyone helping out that day. Mrs. Henderson was helping out in the room where Debbie rang up the orders. I made sure I said hi to her and told her about my last college class (I'm seriously hoping I passed this time as I don't want to read Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath again, DEPRESSING!). I also told her how much I missed her cooking. If you can help out on Market Day at SHARE, you'll be glad you did as you'll get to try some of her fantastic cooking. It is definitely worth the drive out there.

No comments: