Saturday, May 13, 2006

Elven War Sword

Yesterday, I received the Elven War Sword I'd ordered. It was the last sword I wanted to own from the Lord of the Rings collection. Sadly, it my opinion, it is the worst. The handle on the sword looks Mattelish i.e. it looks like it's made of plastic. It should look like it has leather wrapped around possible a wooden handle. To make matters worse, there are clearly visible lines on the top and bottom parts of the handle. The reason for this is because the handle was made of two parts and then somehow welded together. Because of this, the blade is purely display. If you actually tried to hit something with it, you would split the handle. Another problem I have with the handle is it's too big. I think it should be smaller and more slender. I suspect they did this so they could make it easier to manufacture.
The blade part of the sword looks good and is a good copy of the blades that were used in the movies. Overall, the sword does more or less look like the blades that the Elven characters used but, I still think that if they couldn't make the sword properly, they shouldn't have made it at all. From what I've heard about engineering and manufacturing problems associated with the blade, this is one sword United Cutlery shouldn't have made. All the other blades I bought in the Lord of the Rings collection were superb, some extremely so. There are a lot of really crappy and kitschy looking swords out on the market. In my opinion, the Lord of the Rings swords were the exception. They are blades that a person would want to own simply because they are beautiful and high quality swords (as far as wall decoration swords go). It saddens me that the final sword in the collection ended up being such a poor representative of the collection.

No comments: