Saturday, May 13, 2006

Procrastination

One of my worst traits is procrastination. If there is something I really don't want to do, I'll put it off till the very last possible moment. Such was the case with two essays I needed to write for the college class I was taking. The part I hate worst about the college classes I'm taking is writing the papers. To make matters worse, I'm majoring in English. If you major in English, you are guaranteed to have to write a LOT of papers.
The class I was taking this spring wasn't that bad. All totalled, I had to write 4 essays of between 3 and 12 pages in length. Still, I hate doing the assignments. Miracles of miracles, I actually got the first assignment in on time. I wasn't to be so lucky on the second assignment. I kept putting it off until I ABSOLUTELY had to do it. I actually managed to knock out the first essay in an hour though it helped that I'd already marked the parts in the book that I was going to use.
The second essay ended up taking a LOT longer. I had to analyze two mother-daughter relationships in The Joy Luck Club. I'd read the novel twice but, I had to re-read the parts on each mother and daughter that I was going to analyze. I also take to take notes on those parts and note what page or pages I took those parts from. It was a very time consuming task. Not surprisingly, I didn't meet the deadline for the second essay. It ended up taking almost an entire day to do the research and write and then re-write the paper. I finally turned it in approximately 18 hours late (which isn't bad for me) (which also doesn't speak well of me either).
I should still pass the class. I got a "D" in it the first time and that's without doing any of the papers. We'll see what happens. If I do by some chance fail it, it'll be my own stupid fault and sadly, it won't be the first time. Perhaps, one of these days I'll learn though I doubt it. I can be a real dipshit when I have to do stuff I don't care to do. Just ask my parents how I was when I had to my chores at home. They know!

No comments: