Saturday, May 20, 2006

Collecting Game Cards

I remember when I was kid, I collected baseball cards. Every week, when I received my allowance, I would walk down to the neighborhood drug store and buy more baseball cards. I kept track of my cards so I knew which ones I had and which ones I still needed. I showed my collection with pride on my bulletin board. It was a lot of fun collecting them.
Ironically, I'm collecting Lord of the Rings cards now. That is what has caused me to reminisce about my baseball card collecting days. In some ways, they're the same though in some ways they're not. I keep a list of what cards I have though I keep the list on my computer now vice on a writing pad in those earlier years. I also have to buy LOTS of packs and get many duplicates before I'll complete my set of cards. I am taken back a bit by how much more the cards cost now a days. A set of Lord of the Rings cards cost a minimum of $2 each. I don't remember the baseball cards I bought costing more than 25 cents a pack. Also, I can play some kind of game with my Lord of the Rings cards whereas with baseball cards, you just showed them off proudly to your friends. One thing I don't miss in the Lord of the Rings cards is the terrible chewing gum I'd get with the baseball cards.
It's a lot of fun collecting the cards. Like in my younger days, I'm determined to get the entire set though in this case, there are three sets I'm collecting: Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King. Unlike my my younger days, I plan to save my cards. I don't know what ever happened to those baseball cards I collected but I regret losing them. I plan to do a better job of keeping the cards I'm collecting now. I don't know if they'll if ever be worth any money but by taking good care of them, I'll be able to enjoy them for years to come. They'll also remind me of a wondrous world that Peter Jackson brought to the silver screen.

No comments: