Friday, May 05, 2006

Book Review

The final book I had to read for the college class I'm taking for the Spring Semester is Amy Tan's The Joy Luck Club. The book tells of four Chinese women who emigrate to the United States and their American born daughters. It is a fascinating book filled joy, love, pain, and loss. It shows the differences between Chinese and American culture and the problems children of foreign born parents can encounter when they try to create a sense of identity. It also shows the problems you can have between immigrant parents and their American born offspring. One example was the embarrassment one of the daughters felt over their parents poor English. One of the problems the mothers had was the lack of attention she received from her daughter (typical now a days in the U.S.).
I personally found the book very enjoyable though I think women would enjoy it more then men. It very much hits on the difficulties of mother-daughter relationships, something men might have a hard time identifying with. The book isn't a hard read nor a long one. The paperback edition has 332 pages. Cost wise, the list price for the book is $7.99 U.S. Supposedly, the book was made into a movie. I don't know how good the movie is as I've never seen it though I may try since I joined Blockbuster video today. We'll see. As far as the book goes, I'd definitely recommend it. It is a very nice and touching read.

No comments: