Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Very Short Routes

Yesterday, I worked at the small post office I like so much. I've previously mentioned that this post office doesn't have any subs because their routes are so small. I found out HOW small yesterday. Out of curiousity, I checked the assessed time on the routes and, I found out they are rated at just 6 and 1/2 hours a day. Multiply that times 6 days and you get 39 hours. The carriers on these routes are just qualifying as full time carriers. A half hour less and they wouldn't be able to qualify for full time carriers. We have an auxiliary route at the post office where I regularly work that is rated at 6 hours that HAS to be carried by a substitute carrier as it doesn't have a enough hours for a full time carrier. Barring the low money, I suspect the carriers that do these 2 routes like them. Show time at their post office is 8:30 and they finish at 3 p.m. The only downside is they don't make lots of money and, they have problems if they want to take time off. The Postmaster at this post office has really been scrambling to get subs to cover their rural route 2 while the regular is gone. It creates a considerable headache for her if she allows one of her regulars to take a lot of time off. More so, as any sub that she gets can be pulled back at the last minute to their respective post office. A sub can work at any post office BUT, they belong to their primary post office. If their primary post office suddenly needs them, they MUST return to that post office. My primary post office has had problems with this too as we've been forced to use subs from other post offices.
Today, I hope to work at that small post office again. I'm getting the hang of the route they put me on BUT, I know there is the chance I may get called back to my primary post office. I told the Postmaster at the small one that though I do hope to get to work for her again. She is super nice and, there isn't the drama at her post office like there is at my main one. It makes for a more pleasant work environment. We'll see what works out.

No comments: