Saturday, September 26, 2009

Butt Kicked

As I previously reported, I found out I was supposed to work Wednesday and Thursday this week on a full route. The route I was supposed to do was my second favorite so it wasn't any super biggee. Then, that got changed. A regular carrier on another route asked for leave on short notice. It was the route another sub hates. I got tagged to do it. I don't know that route's case at all. My only saving grace was that I was familiar with parts of the route though I'd never worked the ENTIRE route. I got my butt kicked on it bad. At times, I thought I was going to go crossed eyed trying to find addresses on the mail case. Also, the route gets a LOT of mail. I hate cutting mail (that's where you leave mail that doesn't have to be delivered THAT day) but, I had little choice if I wanted to get on the street and deliver what I had at a decent hour. Once I delivered the mail I'd cased, I spent 2 and 1/2 hours trying to case the mail I'd cut. I ended up working over 12 and 1/2 hours. Realizing that I would have the same problem the next day, I went in at 5:15 in the morning. It was going in that early that enabled me to finish casing all the mail for the route and manage to get done by 5 p.m. So, I worked nearly 12 hours for a second day. I was seriously whooped. Thankfully, I got to do my favorite route yesterday though I got bit again. The small post office I worked at Monday asked if I could help there once I finished my route at my main post office. Normally, I would say NO WAY. But, I really like the Postmaster there and agreed to do it. So, after working over 8 hours at my post office, I drove to the other post office and worked another 2 hours. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I only have to do the route I'm assigned to today. We've had a lot of Saturdays lately where we had to break up a route. We'll see how it goes. If nothing else, I'm really going to enjoy my 3 days off for the motorcycle course after this grinding week. Cheers all!

No comments: