Friday, June 26, 2009

National Wildlife Visitors Center

I wanted to take my scooter for another good test ride to see if I would have any more problems with it. I decided to ride to the National Wildlife Visitors Center. That is a center on the Patuxent Research Refuge that tells of various endangered species and what scientists are doing to save them. Also, they have a video that tells of the history of the Refuge. For over a year, the center was closed for renovation. I found out most of the work had to do with the center's roof and drains. The exhibits inside haven't changed any. It's still a nice center and is free to the public. The area around the center has 3 or 4 trails offering visitors very nice walks in the woods. For anglers, the Refuge offers fishing on Cash Lake. Anglers have to get a free permit to fish there and, they release any fish they catch. For those who don't feel like walking along the trails, the center is offering tram rides on week days and weekends that show various parts of the Refuge. I hope to do one of those tram rides myself. It would be neat to learn more about the Refuge while seeing more of the animals that call it home. The center is easy to get to as it isn't far from Maryland 295 Baltimore Washington Parkway. Signs direct would be visitors to the center.
For me, it was a nice visit. My scooter ran fine and, I had a nice ride out and back. The volunteer manning the welcome desk gave me a good idea for my scooter. He recommended I buy some fuel additive that helps clear out moisture i.e. water in the gas tank and fuel lines. I think it's a good idea and plan to do it. I look forward to going back to the center and riding one of its tram rides so I can learn more about it. Cheers all!

No comments: