Thursday, August 01, 2013

Jake & Amos Pickled Red Beet Eggs

Recently, I visited the JR's Candy and Bulk Foods section at the Laurel, Maryland Pennsylvania Dutch Market on Maryland 198. While there, I saw they had Jake & Amos pickled eggs. They offer Red Beet Pickled Eggs and Jalapeno Pickled Eggs. I thought I'd try the Red Beet ones.

I found the eggs had a slightly different flavor which is hard to describe though it isn't bad. It was just different. Thanks to the beet juice used in the pickling, the eggs have a reddish lavender color to them. This reminds me of the Dr. Seuss story of Green Eggs and Ham.

Nutrition wise, according to the label on the jar, 2 eggs have 110 calories. Like all eggs, they are high in cholesterol. 2 eggs will give you 60% of your daily requirement for cholesterol. Also, 2 eggs have 1.5 grams of saturated fat for those who watch how much saturated fat they eat.

Price wise, a 32 fluid ounce jar will cost you $6.99 which seems like a fair enough price. They really pack the jar so, you get a lot of pickled eggs for your money.

Overall, I thought the eggs were ok. They weren't anything I'd rush right out and buy. If you're a pickled egg fan, you might like them. The Jake & Amos brand is a very good brand. I've been extremely pleased with their Spiced Dilly Beans and Pickled Asparagus. Bon Appetit!

A reminder, the Pennsylvania Dutch Market is only open Thursday thru Saturday each week. Also, you may experience some difficulty parking your car as the market is very popular in Laurel. There are parking spaces in front, in back and in the good size Home Depot store parking lot next to the market.

No comments: