Sunday, August 04, 2013

Saranac Root Beer Review

One of the root beers I decided to taste test was Saranac's root beer. It claims to be a premium soft drink as well as hand crafted soft drinks. They state on their packaging that 30 years ago, they sought to bring back the tradition and quality of the original root beer they crafted back in 1888.

I found Saranac's root beer does have a very good taste to it. Also, as near as I can determine, it doesn't have any caffeine. I don't think root beer should have in caffeine in it. It doesn't make the root beer any better in my opinion. Price wise, a 6 twelve fluid ounce pack will cost you $4.99 at the Columbia, Maryland Wegman's. That is cheaper than other premium root beers such as Appalachian Brewing Company's (ABC) root beer which costs $5.99 for the same size 6 pack or the environmentally conscious Maine root beer which costs $6.49 for a 4 pack.

Where Saranac loses points with me is with their use of high fructose corn syrup. Corn syrup is typical of cheap brand root beers. Premium root beers use cane sugar. Also, I very much doubt that back in 1888, they were using corn syrup in their root beer. So while Saranac claims to be a premium root beer, in my opinion, it isn't. I do think it's better than Coca Cola's Barq's root beer or Wegman's name brand root beer but, it isn't on par with ABC or Maine. I would rate it as a medium grade root beer. Happy drinking all!

No comments: