Sunday, August 11, 2013

Wegmans Salad Venetian Calamari Review

As any readers I have know, I like calamari i.e. squid. I have since I first tried it in Italy during an Air Force temporary duty assignment there.

Recently, I was going through my Wegmans coupon booklet and, they had a $1 off the purchase of $5 or more of fresh seafood. I decided to use the coupon as I like seafood. I looked through their Columbia, Maryland store and found their salad Venetian Calamari Salad. The salad is pricey, $9.99 a pound but, I decided to try it.

I found it was a good salad. It's packed with calamari as well as white beans, peppers and onions. The calamari itself was fine. It wasn't chewy like it can be at times. One serious drawback to the salad is its very short shelf life. The container said to use it up by the very next day after I bought it. I didn't do that. I finished it 5 days after I bought it. As far as I can tell, I didn't suffer any ill effects from keeping it that long but, I don't like the short shelf life. A plus to the salad is that it doesn't have any preservatives (probably why the short shelf life) or chemicals. It does carry a warning to those who are allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, sesame seeds, soy and shellfish as it is prepared in an area that is shared with such products.

Overall, I was pretty pleased with the salad though it isn't something I'll eat often due to the price. If you like calamari and, there's a Wegmans close to you, you might want to give it a try. Bon Appetit!

No comments: