Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sam's Club Toscano Salame Review

Two or three weeks ago, I visited the Sam's Club in Laurel. While there, I noticed they some traditional looking salami that I'd never tried before. I decided to buy some and see how it was.

The label on it calls it Slow-cured Salame. However, when it's rung up, it's called Toscano salame. It's supposed to be like the old fashioned salami you would find in Europe though the product is made in the United States of America. The salami comes unsliced in 18 ounce packages and sells for $7.98 (which breaks out to $7.09 a pound approximately) at the Catonsville and Laurel, Maryland stores. I don't know if it would be the same price at other Sam's Clubs. The salami has one big plus in my book in that it doesn't have any monosodium glutamate (MSG). A 1 ounce serving has 90 calories, 2 grams of saturated fat and 430 milligrams of sodium (probably from the sea salt used) as well as 7 grams of protein. As it is a sausage like product, it is made of pork. There are the preservatives sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate. The product has a long shelf life as it says on the package that it should be sold by March 6th, 2014. Refrigeration wise, once the salami has been opened, it must be refrigerated. Also, there is a collagen casing on the outside of the salami that must be peeled off of each slice. The salami is made by Daniele Incorporated in Pascoag, Rhode Island.

Taste wise, I thought this salami to be particularly good. It does remind me of the luncheon meats you would find over in Europe. Also, I don't think it's terribly expensive considering the quality you're getting.

Overall, this is one Sam's Club product I'd definitely give a thumbs up to. It is a very good salami in my opinion though I'm no expert on salami. Bon Appetit!

No comments: