Saturday, May 19, 2012

First Impressions of Israel

I arrived at Ben Gurion International Airport today for the first time. A Globus rep met my travel friend and I there and arranged to have a taxi take us to our hotel. I looked out the taxi window the whole time to see what Israel looked like. Some parts look fertile while others are dirty and graffiti laden. I was surprised by how many scooters there are in this country. Later this evening, I had dinner at a restaurant within the former Jaffa train station complex. It was neat. Outside the complex there was a good size parking lot AND at least 15 scooters. I've seen someone zipping by on one repeatedly. Price wise, the country isn't cheap. I had a large Tuborg draft beer at the hotel bar and, it cost over $7. I was surprised that the local brews Maccabee and Goldstar were just as expensive as the imported brands.

That's all of my first impressions for now. Tomorrow, I get to meet my tour director and the other members of my tour group. I'm curious how many there'll be. The tour as far as I know is fully booked. Also, plan to try out the  hotel swimming pool. It looks really nice. And, I need to find out where I can buy postage stamps to mail postcards back to the U.S. Stay tuned for more observations on Israel. Happy travels all!!!!!

No comments: