Monday, June 19, 2006

SHARE Job

I got to start my new part time SHARE job last Friday. It was like when I'd volunteered there and at the same time it was different. If I saw something that needed to be taken care of, I couldn't blow it off. I had to take care of it. Also, if volunteers walked in, I had to tell them what we were doing (bagging potatoes) and assign them to a table. If the volunteers needed more potatoes, I had to open and dump some more potatoes on their table (I got a nice workout from this as each sack of potatoes weighed 50 pounds). I also had to look for work to do to keep busy. Afterall, they were paying me now. On the pay, I got some awesome news there. I'll be making $10 an hour which is $3 an hour more than I make at Medieval Times. The down side to the job is that I'll be working 2 weeks out of the month. It is possible that I could work on various projects they work on when they have time but realistically, I'll only get to work there 2 weeks every month. Another down side to this job is it is temporary however, there is the chance that it could become permanent. It depends on how pleased the General Manager and Food Manager are with how it works out. Still, I'll have to give thanks for this job. While I'm doing all right money wise, the extra bucks from the SHARE job will help (especially with Maryland tuition rates).
On slightly different subject, I heard from the Post Office and am scheduled for a drug/alcohol test this week. They're also supposed to do a physical assessment (as to whether I can do the job or not). I should get through this step all right. The only question is how long will this step take besides the test. Hopefully, I'll get a positive assessment and get hired by the Post Office in a month or so. Initially, I'd get a couple days a week with the Post Office which may not seem a lot but, it is the long term promise that matters with them. In about a year and a half, I can expect to be offered a permanent position with them. That's what I want and what I keep my fingers crossed for.

No comments: