Wednesday, June 21, 2006

College

I've been looking into when I can pay University of Maryland's in-state vice out-of-state tuition rates. While I was active duty military, I got to pay the in-state rate but, once I retired, I had to start paying the out-of-state rate since I didn't change my state of residence because of taxes (I didn't have to pay any state taxes with Michigan as long as I didn't live there, I would've had to pay Maryland taxes if I'd changed my residency to Maryland). The difference is considerable. Maryland's in-state tuition rate is $230 per credit hour (undergraduate studies). It's out-of-state rate is $444 per credit hour. For a 3-credit hour class that translates to an additional $642 per class for me. Serious ouch! I did some research today and found out I missed being able to change my residency with the university for the fall semester by five days. Dang! However, if I wait and take my fall class during the Mid-Fall semester, I'll be able to claim residency by then. Hm. I did a little more checking and because of the long winter break between the regular fall and spring semesters, I'll only have one or two weeks of overlap. I can handle so that is what I plan to do. The only thing remaining will be filling out the paperwork and making copies of all the documentation Maryland wants in order to assure themselves that I'm a Maryland resident. Oh brother. Still, it'll be worth it.

No comments: