Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Job Update

My news job wise is actually good. I started my new part time job at SHARE and have been enjoying that. I have encountered new problems with being the part-time warehouse manager. One problem is related to weather. It's summer time in Maryland and that translates into warmer temperatures. Warmer temperatures are big time bad for food. They cause it to spoil faster. During the winter, SHARE can leave all the produce out in the warehouse bays. During the summer, all produce must be stored in the chiller. That adds more steps to the process and complicates storing it as pallets have to be raised and placed on various shelves in the chiller. Frozen food has to be watched more carefully as well. During the summer months, SHARE tries to have as little frozen food out as possible. I also have to try to keep the freezer doors closed as much as possible so the stuff in the freezer doesn't thaw out. This is particularly important with poultry items such as chicken.
Another nice benefit of working at SHARE is I've gotten to operate a forklift more. It's neat driving one though you have to very careful. They are unstable machines and very heavy. It's very easy to crush something with one. You always have to be aware of your surroundings when you're driving one. I'm constantly looking around to see if anyone is close or where any obstacles are.
In regards to my possible new job at the Post Office, I got the word yesterday that I was all set to begin training on July 10th. Training will be two weeks. I'm looking forward to becoming a substitute mailman and hopefully a full-time one in time.
In regards to my job at Medieval Times, it goes well. I continue to do my best and jump to do whatever my boss wants done. I also continue to sell the show. I know I've gotten a number of people interested in it. Hopefully, I've gotten more people interested in the show than I've turned off on it.
We have a new guy in our department. He's Nick's replacement. He's young (18 or 19 years old) but looks like a good security person (beefy i.e. looks like someone you wouldn't want to pick a fight with). At this point, I have no idea if he's any good job wise. I'll find out Sunday when I get to work Sunday's show with him.
I also made the observation that a number of people who work in Medieval Times hope to move up to either Squire, Knight, Lord Chancellor, or King. I think I can understand why. Those are the "star" positions at Medieval Times. You get to perform before hundreds of people and they ooo and aah as you play your role. I suspect it would be neat to have their adulation. I wonder if that's why people get into acting.
One down side about my jobs at Medieval Times and SHARE have been the long hours I've been working. Last Saturday, I was at SHARE from 5:45 a.m. till 12:15 p.m. I drove home, got a one hour nap and drive to Medieval Times where I worked from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m. It made for a very long day. I've been having a lot of those this past week and it has taken its toll. I definitely feel tired. One of the bad things about working at Medieval Times is that if you don't get enough people attending a show, they'll cut back the people they need. Last Thursday, we only had around 325 people attend the show and so there wasn't any need for two security people. Because of the long hours I've been working, I volunteered to be the one that went home. Normally, I wouldn't do that. Still, I should be able to catch up on my rest Thursday and Friday. I'm off those days at Medieval Times and don't have to work at SHARE. It's going to be pure bliss to have a couple days off. I better enjoy them too considering things promise to pick-up again with the new job at the Post Office kicking off. We'll see how things go.
One last note, to all those who have had me in their prayers, I thank you very much. As you can see, it looks like they're paying off. Life is getting better for me. I have no doubt your prayers mattered. Thanks again. Cheers!

No comments: