Sunday, March 26, 2006

A Long Day

I had a long day yesterday. I got to help out at SHARE and then worked seven hours at Medieval Times. It was neat to help out at SHARE. Sadly, I haven't been able to help out there as much as I use to. I've been busy with work and school. Yesterday was distribution Saturday and it was hectic at SHARE. People came in steadily till at least 9 a.m. I got busy retrieving carts and moving food with one of the manual jacks SHARE has. I also picked up a ham I bought from SHARE. SHARE was offering an 8 to 9 pound pre-cooked spiral cut ham for $20. As far as I know, that's a really good deal. I also bought one of the hams before and I was very pleased with it. In regards to helping more at SHARE, I should be able to now that my first college writing assignment is done. I hope I can get down there tomorrow and help out with Market Day.
In regards to Medieval Times, it is never a dull moment there. We had TWO sold out shows so we were very busy and very packed. I got assigned to watching one of the entrances and that meant I was the primary person a lot of folks went to with questions. I have a confirmation number, will that get me in? No it won't, you have to go to the ticket window, pick up your tickets, and then go through the tower to get your seating assignment. We're going to wait for some friends of ours and then get our seating assignments. The best option is to get your seating assignments now since seating is FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE. You'll get better seats for yourself AND your friends if you go through the line NOW. Which are the best seats at Medieval Times? The best seats are in the Red and Yellow and Black and White sections. These are equivalent to the 50 yard line at football games. How long does the show last? The show and dinner last 2 hours. Can people leave Medieval Times once they have their seating assignments? Yes they can. Just make sure you have your plastic seating card so they security person will let you back in. Also, please make sure you get back before they start seating people so you don't miss any of the show. FYI, you won't lose your seats once you have your seating assignment card BUT you are paying good money to see the show. Wouldn't you want to see the WHOLE show since you paid for it? When will they let people into the arena so they can sit at their table? The Lord Chancellor will direct people to the two sets of double doors 15 minutes before the show is supposed to start. People will start entering the arena 10 minutes before the show is suppose to start. If you go the right set of double doors, the first group that will be called are those sitting in the Green section, followed by the Red and Yellow section, and lastly, the Blue Section. Those going through the left set of double doors will be seated in the following order, Red Section first, Black and White Section second, and lastly, the Yellow Section. Why does Medieval Times seat people that way? Because it is the best way to seat people. The people in the Red and Green Sections are the ones sitting in the arena farthest from the doors so it makes sense to get them in first. The people in the Blue and Yellow Sections are the ones sitting closest to the doors so it makes sense seating them last. After many years doing this, Medieval Times has their system down pat.
Concerning things Medieval Times can do for special occasions, Medieval Times has a number of things they can do for special occasions. The cheapest is an announcement during the show for $10 (not including tax). After that, it depends on how fancy you want to get. For $20 (not including tax), you can get knighted. What you get for being knighted is a picture of King Alfonso knighting you (you kneel on the royal cushion, wear the knighting cloak, and are dubbed a knight by King Alfonso with the royal sword), a scroll saying you were knighted, and having it announced during the show. It's a nice ceremony and I've done it myself. Depending on how much money you want to spend, you can also get a sword included with your knighting or a faux pearl tiara if your a lady being knighted. (I have a sword and scabbard from mine.) Medieval Times can provide birthday cakes for an additional charge. There isn't any problem if you want to bring your own cake which they will gladly cut and serve to the members of your group during the meal. The person to see if you're interested in being knighted or having someone knighted is the scroll mistress. Her desk is close to the bar (at the Arundel Mills Medieval Times, I have no idea where the scroll mistress may be located at other Medieval Times) and has the swords, princess hats, and tiaras they offer for the knighting ceremony.
Another important note, if you use a wheelchair, walker, or cane, Medieval Times can pre-seat you. I deal with this myself. One of my main jobs before a show starts is to look for and sign up people for pre-seating. What pre-seating is, is letting those people who have to use a wheelchair, walker, or cane to enter the arena and be seated before everyone else. It gives them a little more time to get to their seat and keeps them from being rushed by the rest of the guests. If you use a wheelchair, walker, or cane, I strongly recommend you take advantage of this service. It will really makes things easier for you. There is one catch with this service, we try to limit the size of the group we'll pre-seat to ten people. Once you have your seating cards, you will get to sit together so it isn't crucial everyone in your group be seated at the same time.
Concerning the meal, the meal is standardized. It is a bowl of soup, a piece of garlic bread, half a roasted chicken, half a baked potato, one spare rib, a pastry or piece of cake, and two glasses (I believe) of unsweetened ice tea or diet Pepsi. Coffee is provided free of charge at the end of the meal. All other drinks must be bought from the bar. There are other special dietary meals available such as the vegetarian plate and Kosher plate. These have to be requested in advance so the kitchen has sufficient time to prepare them. No dining utensils are provided for eating the food. All food is eaten with your fingers or in the case of the soup slurped. You can however request dining utensils from your serving wench or serf.
One last item, which shows are more prone to sell out? Survey says (stolen from the show Family Feud) Saturdays hands down. Wednesdays appear to be our least busy. Medieval Times offers matinee shows and will be offering some special shows for the hearing impaired. I have no idea what the hearing impaired shows are like as I haven't worked one of those yet.
One disclaimer, all comments posted in this blog are my own and are not the official opinions or judgements of the Arundel Mills Medieval Times, other Medieval times locations, or the Medieval Times parent organization. All information is accurate as far as I know but do consider I'm still learning and so it is possible I got it wrong. If the matter is important to you, I would check with the appropriate Medieval Times to make sure what I've said is correct. I will post corrections when I find out I've posted something that was wrong. If you know that something I've posted is wrong, PLEASE post a comment so I can post a correction. I do try to be as accurate as possible.

No comments: