Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I Got A Job!

I finally have a job that barring any unforeseen circumstances, I should be able to keep as long as I want. As I mentioned in earlier posts, I've been transitioning from military to civilian life. It has been one rough ride. There have been so many jobs that I thought I was going to get only to see them fall through. I finally got a job with the Arundel Mills Medieval Times which should be reliable and steady. What do I do at Medieval Times? I provide security. I make sure no one gets one in who doesn't have a ticket. I help pre-seat people. I make sure no one tries to through anything into the arena during the show. I make sure people don't bang the plates and cups together or against the table. I also make sure the food servers stay out of certain areas when certain events are taking place. I notify management if someone drinks one too many mugs of beer or glasses of wine. Lastly, I answer lots of questions from customers. That has been the most challenging part as I've had to learn a LOT about Medieval Times in order to answer their questions. In cases where I don't know the answer, I have to find the person who does know the answer. Medieval Times is very customer oriented and one of the most important things I do is help customers. I've found that really surprising as it isn't something you'd normally associate with security. The job has been neat in that I've gotten to interact with the people who play the King, Princess, Lord Chancellor, and Knight Marshal. I've gotten to see how things are behind the scenes. It is fascinating to see how the show is put together. Finally, it has been neat to see how much the kids that come to Medieval Times enjoy it. The little girls who dress up as princesses look incredibly cute. The little boys with their toy swords remind me when I was a kid and dreamed of being a knight. Sometimes, adults will dress the part too. One guy who inquired about working at Medieval Times looked the part already. My only disappointment of sorts is that I don't get to wear a costume. I can't in order to do my job. People have to have to take me seriously and they might not if I was in costume. Oh well. Barring that, the job has been a lot of fun and I look forward to continuing to work at Medieval Times. It is a neat place. If you like jousting, a nice story, and good food you can eat with your fingers or slurp out of the bowl, you might want to check it out. The eight Medieval Times locations (with a ninth opening in the Atlanta area in the summer of 2006) can be found at their website: www.medievaltimes.com.

1 comment:

kairosnow said...

Congratulations on your new job!. Have a good time!