Saturday, January 02, 2010

Contract

A friend at work recommended I read the contract that applies to rural mail carriers. I found out where it was located on the web and, I got a shock. The contract is 88 pages long and includes 14 memorandums of understanding. My eyes got glazed by some of the terminology in the contract. It can be very wordy at times. I learned some new things like the progressive levels of discipline in the Postal Service. However, the contract caused me come up with a number of questions like how many letters of warning do you receive before you get a 7 day suspension. Also, I wanted to find out the rules concerning calling out from work. I'd heard that you could call out for up to 3 days before having to provide documentation as to why you couldn't work. However, I found out from my shop steward that the supervisor MAY request documentation for 3 days or less. If you don't provide the documentation, your supervisor can charge you with absent without leave on your attendence record. Where is the section about absent without leave? Also, where does it state how many hours a substitute carrier can be made to work or that they must stand by their phone on days they're not scheduled to work in case they're needed on short notice. I suspect I'll have to ask my steward about all those. I'm learning the hard way about some of those issues. I'm also learning don't do your supervisor any favors. They won't help you. When push comes to shove, all your supervisor is going to care about getting their mail delivered. If you get messed over in the process, too bad. The more I work at the post office, the more I miss the Air Force. Believe me, it's a lot easier in the Air Force. You don't have the amount of bs that I've seen in the Postal Service. With all the bs, I've got to come up with an alternative plan to working at the post office. So far, I've failed come up with one but, I am really getting fed up with the place. Stay tuned for the next chapter in this messed up soap opera. Cheers all!

1 comment:

  said...

Ron, I just wanted to say hi. Happy 2010 to you; glad to know you are still around and blogging.