Monday, March 30, 2009

Tired

I found out today why I haven't been keen on learning anymore routes at the Post Office. I had to do the route I was trained on last week by myself. I got seriously kicked. Monday is the worst day to have someone who is new to a route to do it. You have 2 days of mail. I walked in and I had 5 full tubs of mail waiting to be cased as well as fliers. It got worse from there. It took me so long to case the mail for the route that I didn't start delivering it till around 2:45 p.m. One nice thing about the route I did today was that it was virtually all mounted. What that means is that I was able to drive up to each box and put their mail right in it vice having to get out of the mail truck and do a second sorting at a multi-box. The route did have 9 or so multi-boxes but, the carrier had single slotted the boxes so when I hit the street, the mail was already broken down to each individual address in the multi-boxes. No second sorting and no bad mail to bring back to the Post Office.
In time, I know I'll get better at the route I did today. The hardest part of this particular route is casing the mail since it is all single slotted i.e. broken down to each individual address. Some of the streets on the route jumped around the case and there were some addresses that were off by themselves making them hard to find. This makes it hard to case/sort but, it also makes it very easy to deliver which I like. Once I hit the street, I'm on easy street as far as delivering the mail on the route. It's all stick and stuff.
Tomorrow, I'll get to train on another route. That should go easier as Tuesdays are typically the lightest mail volume wise as far as the week goes. Still, I know I'll be going around in circles looking for various addresses. It'll be a pain but, the money will be nice and by knowing the route, I'll be able to get more hours down the line. Cheers all!

2 comments:

Jim Jannotti said...

I feel your pain. I did not get called today and I already know all the rural routes at our station, but I've been in your shoes many times! "Tired" is an understatement.

By the way, your postcard arrived on Friday. Thanks very much for sending it!

Ditto said...

We have 14 rural routes and 1 auxiliary rural route. I don't know all of them though I know parts of all of them. Training wise, I'm qualified on 7 different routes (soon to be 8). I had to keep reminding myself that yesterday was the first day I'd worked that route by myself. It would've been easy to get discouraged and stressed otherwise. Also, I knew once I got on the street that the route would be super easy as it's all single slotted. As it is, I ended up working an 11 1/2 hour day. I was seriously beat when I clocked out. I'm not looking forward to training on another route today. Another day of searching all over the place for various addresses. Aargh! However, it should be easier as the mail will be lighter. We'll see how it goes.

I'm glad you liked the postcard. I'll try to send you a cool one from either Montreal or Quebec City when I go on my Globus Canada tour.