Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Initial Observations

Here are a few initial observations I've made on my trip so far. I suspect water is going to be a major concern. You can't drip the tap water in Egypt so you must drink bottled water. Bottled water can be expensive. A small bottle of it will set you back almost $2. That could add up real quick. Also, I continued to be annoyed by minor things I forgot to pack. I forgot to pack extra sweat bands for my workouts and, I apparently forgot my hairbrush. At least I hope I forgot it, otherwise, I left it at the hotel in Virginia. Lastly, I forgot my spare camera battery. My digital camera uses batteries you have to recharge. Apparently, I left the spare battery on the recharger at home. While I've never needed it past trips, it is nice to have it just in case. I hope I won't need it this time.
Food wise, I noticed the absence of real i.e. pork bacon at the hotel breakfast buffet this morning. I confess I like the real stuff vice beef bacon which is what I think they had. They also had beef and chicken sausages vice pork sausages. One interesting thing I got to try was hibiscus juice. I didn't even know there was such a thing. It was all right.
Lastly, it is a bit unreal to wake up, look outside your bedroom window and see the pyramids. Later, I got to see a bunch of people go off on a camel ride. I remember the last time I was in Egypt, they offered that. If I'm given the chance, I may do it though I've already ridden a camel. I did that during my Globus Australia tour. The ride itself wasn't terribly impressive but, I could say I'd ridden a camel. We'll see if I get to ride one here.
That's all for now. I'll post more later. I bought a 12 hour internet card from the hotel so I'll be posting a fair amount from here. I can't say how much I'll post from other places. It'll depend on the cost. Cheers all!

1 comment:

Jim Jannotti said...

I agree. Facon (fake bacon) is not good. Forgotten hairbrushes are not either. Hope your trip gets a bit better.