Monday, March 02, 2009

Made It

I arrived in Cairo this morning. The flight was long as expected. Egyptair was surprisingly decent. The main meal they offered was pretty good plus, they offered a choice of beef, chicken or fish.

Avalon Waterways came through too. There was a 2-man team waiting at the arrivals section at the Cairo airport. The first man showed me where to get my visa and got me quickly in line so I could get through immigration quickly. Note: Getting my Egyptian visa turned out to be ridiculously easy at the airport. I definitely wouldn't bother getting it at the Egyptian consulate in the states.

The second man helped me get my suitcase and directed me to where the driver was. He also contacted the tour guide who met with me later. The tour guide was fantastic. Because of him, I'll get to see the boat museum next to the pyramids tomorrow and the royal mummy section of the Egyptian museum of antiquities. It should be a serious blast.

Lastly, my room at the Mena House Oberoi absolutely rocks. I can look out my bedroom window and see Cheops pyramid. It's unreal.

So, my Egyptian adventure is going well. Stay tuned for further updates as I can post them. Cheers all!

2 comments:

Jim Jannotti said...

cool. Pleasant journeys!

Ditto said...

Thanks. I saw a boat this morning that was built 4,000 years ago for Pharaoh Cheops. It was incredible to see a boat that was that old. Also, it was very striking with its long oars and the fact it didn't have any nails. Really fascinating. I'll visit the royal mummy room at the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities this afternoon. That should be interesting too.