Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Surprise

3 or 4 days ago, I decided to try out my Sony CDP-C900 CD player. I'd bought the thing when I was stationed in South Korea back from late 1985 to late 1986. It was part of a dream stereo system I decided to buy while I stationed there. Korea at that time was the place to buy stereos or cameras if you were in the military. Supposedly, you could get good deals on them there. So, I bought myself a Sansui double cassette deck, Pioneer 2-sided record player, Yamaha pre-amplifier, Yamaha power amplifier, Yamaha tuner, Sony CDP-C900 CD player and Bose 901 Series 5 speakers. It turned out to be a really nice system.
In time, I lost interest in using the thing. It is a bit of hassle hooking everything up. It's a lot easier to just play a CD in a small portable CD player. At some point, I put 10 CDs in my Sony CD player. Then, I forgot about those 10 CDs. When I was re-located to my last duty station, I noticed that the CD holder cartridge was in the CD player. I didn't think anything of it. So, it sat for over 7 years. I did notice that I was missing some CDs but, I had no idea what I did with them. Today, I found out what happened to them. I decided to see if the CD player still worked. To my annoyance, I wasn't able to listen to the thing as I didn't have a set of headphones with a 1/4 inch stereo plug and, I didn't want to go through all the hassle of hooking my stereo system up. I had to drive to Best Buy and buy one. When I got home, I plugged in the new set of headphones I bought at Best Buy and popped out the CD cartridge so I could put in some CDs I'd been meaning to listen to. That was when I got a big surprise as there were 10 CDs in the cartridge. Now, I have to go through my CD collection and find out if I replaced the CDs or not. I hope I didn't but, I won't bet on it. I've done that before where I mis-placed something, bought another one then, I found the first one I bought. Crap! One good thing came out of this - my Sony CD player works fine. Maybe, I'll finally get around to listening to the stack of 15 CDs I bought that has been sitting on my dresser for the past year. We'll see.

No comments: