Monday, May 07, 2007

My Routine at Medieval Times Part I

I thought my readers might find it interesting to find out what my routine is when I work at Medieval Times. This is what it is like for someone working in Sound and Lighting there.
When I first arrive, I clock in with a scanner that has a picture of two of my fingers. This way, the castle can make sure the person that is clocking in is the person they say they are. Then, I make my way to the Sound and Lighting booth. I store my Dehner full length English riding boots in there because they are so valuable. They cost me over $930. The castle didn't supply me with the boots. I bought them earlier when I was riding at Aspiring Heights Farm (http://www.aspiringheightsfarm.com). The castle supplies those who play castle guards a fake chain mail shirt, a fake chain mail hood, a pair of black hose, a cover tunic, a black belt to cinch around the cover tunic, and weapons. The employee is expected to supply their own black tennis shoes which they are supposed to wear with the costume. I don't think Medieval castle guards wore black tennis shoes back in Medieval days so I asked and received permission to wear my riding boots.
Once I have my boots, I head to wardrobe. Wardrobe has all the costumes for everyone who works at the castle. They're responsible for washing them and repairing them. After I pick up all my costume items barring weapons and gauntlets, I go to the men's locker room where I change and lock up my regular clothes.
I'm not finished getting costumed if you will. I have to head back to the booth where I get my big black leather belt (a dyed weight lighting belt with various studs added for decoration) and decide what weapon I want to carry on it. I usually pick out a sword as I think it's pretty neat to carry one. Then, I cinch the belt and smooth out my cover tunic so it looks smooth. After that, I put on a black ski cap. Why would I wear a black ski cap? Because it cushions really well the metal helmet I have to wear. The ski cap does get a little warm but it's warm it considering how well it paddens the helmet. Next, I put on my black leather gauntlets. Like my boots, I bought my own gauntlets. I thought they'd enhance my costume. I got approval from the higher ups (all changes to costume must be approved by them) and have worn them since. Lastly, I select which halberd I want to use to guard the entrance to the castle. The only difference between the two we have is one is shiny and one isn't.
I'm finally all set to play castle guard. Now, I have to wait till it's time for me and the others to go out to the castle waiting area to our posts. We take our posts 2 and 1/2 hours before show time. My favorite post is post 1. This is the entrance closest to the ticket booth. It is also the side that people line up on when preparing to check-in at the check-in desk between the two fake stone lions. Working post 1 is a bit of a challenge as I have to answer a number of questions concerning ticketing and reservations. I also have to make sure that only those who have a seating card (they get one of those when they check-in) are allowed in. Lastly, I get asked a lot to pose for pictures. I confess I enjoy this part as I find it fun. I'm always willing to have my picture taken by myself or with guests.
I remain at post 1 till the herald's trumpets sound and the Lord Chancellor makes the call to table. The call to table is where people are directed to the appropriate doors for their color section (there are 6 colors with each color corresponding to a particular knight). Once they enter the appropriate double doors, serving serfs and wenches direct them to their assigned table. Before the people are allowed into the arena and to their table, all of those doing guard duty and working the dungeon go back to the Sound and Lighting booth. There, we put our weapons away and change from our costumes into clothes that are entirely black so we can't be seen when we're working the spotlights in one of the spotlight towers.
To be continued.

No comments: