Friday, April 06, 2007

Leave

Last year, I had planned to do a Globus tour with my friend Harvey. Due to problems with my job, I sadly had to back out. Harvey kindly decided to put off Scandanavia until both of us could go. With my part-time jobs at the Post Office and at Medieval Times, there wasn't going to be any problem affording the trip this time. I also made sure I notified well in advance both places of my travel plans. I told my supervisor at the Post Office about the trip in December. In January, I filled out a Post Office leave form and submitted it even though I don't earn leave at the Post Office. I remember my supervisor acknowledging my request and writing it down on a stick-em note and putting it on the bulletin board above the computer he was working on. All should have been good to go.

After all the problems lately at the Post Office, I've started getting a little paranoid about my Scandanavia travel plans. The trip is only 4 and 1/2 months away. Everything is paid for barring optional trips during the tour itself. I asked two regular carriers if they thought I'd have any problems getting the time off. After all, I'd told my supervisor back in December and January. I was advised to fill out another leave and get my supervisor to sign it and keep a copy. It turned out to be really good advice.

I decided to take their advice and I asked my supervisor about the time off I'd requested back in December and January. To my disbelief, he had no memory of it. The stick-em note he wrote to remind himself was gone. I promptly filled out three more leave forms and got him to sign one this time. I'm keeping that one in my personal records. My supervisor told me that him signing the thing didn't guarantee I'd get the time off. I don't think my supervisor understands the situation. Barring serious illness, I'm going on that trip. After all the grief I've had at the Post Office, I won't have any qualms about giving notice if I can't go. I feel certain I'll be able to find another job or get hired on again with another Post Office when I come back. Still, I hope I don't have to give notice. I hate sacrificing a year of seniority at the Post Office. We'll see what happens.

No comments: