Thursday, November 30, 2006

Carnegie Deli

While riding the Downtown Grayline tour bus, Harvey and I heard from the tour guide that two delis located by 57th street made particularly good Reuben sandwiches. I haven't had a good Reuben sandwich in a while so I recommended we try one of them out. Harvey agreed. After we rested and got changed for the Rockettes performance we were going to see that evening; we hopped on a Grayline bus heading up to where the delis were located at. Of the two, we decided to try Carnegie Deli. It was closer to where we were.
When you enter Carnegie Deli, the first thing you see are hundreds of autographed pictures of various celebrities that have eaten at the deli. It's quite an impressive collection. The deli has seating and a server directed to a table where we were promptly served. After scanning the menu, I managed to find the Reuben sandwich. I was initially shocked by the price. They were charging $20.95! The waitress assured me that the sandwich would cover the entire plate. She was right. It did. The sandwich itself was one of the largest I've ever eaten. It was loaded with corned beef. I managed to finish mine and Harvey gave it a good try. For the money, I thought it was good deal. Sandwich wise, I wasn't pleased with it. It just wasn't a great tasting Reuben. I wonder if that was because they didn't use pastrami instead of corned beef. I don't know.
Overall, I thought the Carnegie Deli was a nice deli. The service was excellent. The food was good value and good tasting. I would say give it a try if you're in the area. Personally, I'd like to try more of their sandwiches so I can see if maybe I got just a blah Reuben. I think I could give it a fairer rating then.

No comments: