Friday, November 03, 2006

Back to Work

I got back to work at Medieval Times and the Post Office. Wednesday, I worked as a castle guard and spotlight operator at Medieval Times. To my relief, I did a fine job. The only annoying thing was the restriction I have concerning ladders. Right now, I'm not allowed to climb any ladders. The surgeon didn't want to take any chances with me pulling out the stitches. Because of that, I couldn't get to the spotlight platform. My boss in sound & lighting figured a way to solve that problem. He used one of the lifts we use to work on lights and the sound system. Using the lift, I was able to get to the spotlight platform without climbing. I was sorry to have to put him out like that but I'm very leery about disobeying the surgeon. I want to heal up properly and get back to normal.
Concerning the Post Office, yesterday I delivered express mail. Express mail is mail sent in specially marked large envelopes which has to be delivered by Noon. The Post Office promises to have it delivered to the receiving address by Noon the next day or the sender gets their money back. Because of the money back promise, the person who delivers express mail has to make sure they get all of them delivered by Noon. Depending on the number, this can be easy or impossible. Yesterday, I was given 15 express mail envelopes and packages. The delivery locations were all over town. There was no way I was going to deliver all those by Noon. My Post Office supervisor realized this and had me take only the ones for areas I've delivered the mail. That left with me with seven packages and envelopes. Thanks to me knowing the delivery area, I had no problem making the deadline. I was able to organize the deliveries to where I could take the most efficient route to deliver them. The only drawback to delivering express mail is that carrier can typically work just 3 hours at most. As I'm on a lifting restriction until November 15th, it's better than not working at all. Plus, it does give me a chance to learn my way around Laurel better. I know some parts of it pretty well. Other parts, I don't know at all. The reason for that is because I don't have any need to drive through those parts. Delivering express mail, I have to learn the various parts of Laurel. This can help me in the long run with the Post Office because I'll be able to deliver to more areas for them.
I was glad to get back to work. Money wise, I'm fine but I like having a paycheck coming in. I still want to do that Scandanavia tour next year and the only way I'm going to able to afford that is if I'm working. So, I was glad to get back to the grind. As long as I'm careful and follow the surgeon's orders, I shouldn't have any problems working.

No comments: