Monday, April 10, 2006

What I've Been Up To

Hello all, I figured it was time to update my blog on what I've been up to lately. First, there hasn't been any word on the test I took the beginning of March. That is both good and bad. Good because if I'd failed the test, they definitely would've let me know by now. Bad because I'm still waiting for word that I hopefully passed it. This makes life hard because I'm big time in limbo. I'm trying not to stress about it but it isn't easy. My friend Tami reminded me that I'm a child of God and that he hasn't let me down yet. All true but, I still don't know where God wants my life to go. That's why it would be so nice to get the test results back. Then I'd know where I'm supposed to go. As it is, I get to stumble along wondering how things are going to work out. We'll see.
I got to help out at SHARE last Friday. They were setting up for the volunteer appreciation day and so I got to help set up tables and chairs. The appreciation day was this past Saturday. I haven't heard how it went (the rain may have decreased attendance) but I hope it went well. SHARE is an awesome organization. I also finally got my official SHARE jacket while I was there. I was delighted with that. Now, I can look like an official member of SHARE.
College wise, I got to try to work with a group of fellow students on the poems of William Carlos Williams. He was an American poet who became a mentor to other American poets like Allan Ginsburg. His poems concentrated on nature, using simple language, and despair. I found I didn't care for his poetry. I also could see where it influenced Ginsburg's poetry. In regards to the group, I managed to hear from one other team member who was very anxious that the group post something. I used his input and my own and posted an analysis of William's poem The Tract. Hopefully, Professor Champ was pleased with my group post. I've found from previous experience that it is very hard to get groups to work well together in online classes. Repeatedly members that were assigned to the group don't take part and yet get credit for the work done. This time was no different. Oh well. At least my own butt was covered and I can continue to move forward in the class. I get to start reading Truman Capote's In Cold Blood this week. The novel is superbly written but it is a very grim novel as it tells of the murder of an entire family in a small Kansas town. Once I finish it, I plan to post a book review on it so I'll stop talking about it for now.
My work at Medieval Times goes well. I continue to try to learn more about the job and do my best dealing with the customers. Sometimes this can be when they decide to be jerks. This past Sunday, the man who had played King Alfonso hung up his crown after three years of playing the role and moved to a managerial position at the castle. I was sorry to see him go as I felt he was the best there in the role of the king. The managerial position he took over is a tough one. He'll be in charge of the arena. What that means is that he directs all the food servers, decides when any customers can go into the arena, and he decides when the show will start. It's a very tough job though I think he'll be up to the job. The guy is really sharp and watches out for his folks. My feeling about management is if you take care of your people, they'll take care of you. I think he follows that dictum. Still, he'll definitely have his hands full.

No comments: