Saturday, April 29, 2006

Post Office Interview
This past Thursday, I had an interview with the local Post Office. While the Post Office isn't my first choice career wise, it does has some advantages. Once you get hired on, you have excellent job security. Also, it pays well and my prior military service is a big plus with them. The interview itself went well though I wish I'd completed my job history before I arrived. I ended up having to rush to finish that. The Postmaster showed me what I'd be doing. Basically, I'd go in in the morning and spend 3 to 4 hours sorting the mail for my route then, I drive out to my route and deliver it. It looks like pretty simple work. It's just time consuming and dull. Still, it is a good paying job ($16.24 an hour) and has more of a future than my job with Medieval Times. The one big down side to the job as far as I can see that I'll have to work as a temporary mail carrier for a year and a half before I'll be able to get hired on permanently. One encouraging thing the Postmaster said was that I was likely to get more than one day a week. The one day a week of work was one of the biggest drawbacks I had with trying to hire on with the Post Office.
The Postmaster said he'd recommend they hire me. I asked when I could expect an answer on whether they would or not. He said I should hear from them in two weeks. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it pans out. If so, things will definitely look brighter.

No comments: