Tuesday, April 25, 2006

College

I got to meet with my college advisor today. I needed to find out what English categories (Poetry, Drama, American Authors, British Authors, etc.) I needed to take classes in to finish my degree. I also needed to know what classes the University of Maryland was offering this summer would satisfy those categories. It turned out there was only one class they were offering this summer that would help me satisfy the remaining requirements for my degree. I'll be taking 20th Century British Women Writers. The summer semester can be a problem in that the number of classes drop considerably. To make matters worse, I need classes that cover very specific areas. Luckily, Maryland did have one course that would work.
After I found out what class I needed to take, I decided to sign up for it. I didn't want to take a chance the class would fill up if I waited. That's when I got another shock, Maryland's tuition rates went up. Maryland doesn't consider me a state resident yet so I have to pay the out-of-state. For a three credit hour course, it cost me $1,348! Serious ouch! Thankfully, I'll be considered a Maryland resident next semester. That will save me over $600 per class. Thankfully too, I'll only have three classes to go at that point.

No comments: