Sunday, April 02, 2006

Medieval Times Update

I got to work at Medieval Times again last night. It was interesting and frustrating. Frustrating because I had some more learning experiences and that can be rough because they can make me feel like such a dumb ass. Case in point was they had a large group that held a ceremony before the first show. They set up an awards stand in the dais. The dais is where the King and Princess sit and perform for most of the show. I'd never helped break down stuff (not that it was terribly difficult) before for that and so was slightly lost figuring out what they needed done.
I also had a case where some folks from the first show wanted to get an autograph from the Blue Knight. Someone told them they could see the Blue Knight after the show. Whoever that person was, they got it wrong though I tried to see if we could some how accomodate them. One thing I've learned at Medieval Times is you try to keep the customer happy (within reason) if possible. In this case, it wasn't possible. On nights where we have two shows (Saturdays and Sundays), the King, Princess, Lord Chancellor, Knight Marshal, and the six Knights only come out after the second show to sign autographs and have pictures taken. On nights where there is a single show (Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday nights), they will come out after the show to sign autographs and have pictures taken with guests afterwards. I suspect that's what the person was thinking who told the folks they would come out afterwards.
Another thing I learned was that Medieval Times has special shows for Senior Citizens. These shows are like the Matinee shows in that they start earlier in the day (11 a.m. I believe). They are different from matinees in that special procedures and arrangements are made for Seniors. For example, Seniors can go directly into the arena to their seat once they've received their seating assignment vice the normal procedure of waiting to be called in based on the color of their seat. Additional personnel are at the show to help provide assistance to any that need it to get to their seat. Also, certain lights are left on to make it easier for Seniors to find their seats. There are other things Medieval Times does to make the show easier and a more enjoyable experience during these special shows but I don't know what all those special procedures are. I'll find out this Wednesday when I get to work my first Senior Citizen show. I look forward to doing what I can to make their visit more visit more enjoyable.
FYI, seating at Medieval Times is based on color. There are six color sections at Medieval Times. The six colors are: Red, Black & White, Yellow, Blue, Red & Yellow, and Green. People are assigned to specific tables in these sections but when called to go into the arena, they are called by their color of the paper crowns they're issued i.e. Red, Yellow, Blue, etc. Each of these color sections corresponds with a particular knight i.e. if you are assigned a seat in the Red section, you root for the Red Knight.
Concerning the recently installed wireless internet connection at the Baltimore Medieval Times, I found out you may need a wireless notebook adapter in order to use it. (I know I will for my Dell XPS Notebook computer.) The adapter should be the standard one that works for all such wireless spots such as those you find in cafes, airports, etc.
Lastly, please remember any information provided here is NOT official Medieval Times information nor is it guaranteed to be accurate. Any information you use from this site is used at your own risk. I try to be as accurate as possible BUT I do make mistakes. Also, all information and opinions are my own and NOT those of ANY Medieval Times location or its parent organization. Any questions or complaints about this blog site should be addressed to ME, NOT Medieval Times. If you want the OFFICIAL or ABSOLUTELY accurate information on Medieval Times, please use their website (a link is provided on my blog), contact the appropriate castle, or the parent organization.

No comments: