Thursday, April 06, 2006

Movie Review

I don't remember what flight it was where I first watched Secondhand Lions but I remember I liked the movie then and after watching it again on DVD, I found I still think it is a wonderful film. The movie tells of a boy (Walter) that is left by his lying no-good mother with two eccentric great-uncles. The uncles disappeared for over 40 years and had just recently returned. The uncles returned rich but gave no explanation where they got the money. All kinds of wild rumors were flying about where they got it. Walter will go through various mis-adventures with his eccentric uncles and in the process learn about values, faith, and what it means to be a man. His eccentric uncles turn out to be two extraordinary men who lived incredible lives worthy of an action adventure novel. The uncles never would've returned to Texas except that they made the cardinal sin of growing old. The uncles themselves feel they've lived past their useful time but Walter gives them a new purpose in life. They in turn change Walter for the better and presumably make him the man they would wish to make any boy into. It's a wonderful story with loads of laughs and a few tears. I would heartily recommend this movie to anyone. If you have time, rent or buy Secondhand Lions.

No comments: