Thursday, October 02, 2008

Tour Truly Begins - Part II

After a nice little rest, I took the elevator down to where those going on the optional Montmartre excursion were to meet. Our bus driver took us to the base of Montmartre. Susan, our guide, wanted to show us the only vineyard in Paris. It's something of a curiousity. The vineyard inhabits a space of land that otherwise would probably hold 2 shops or houses. Grape vines are carefully grown in the small plot of land. Because of its small size, not much wine is produced and, it is very pricey. A bottle will cost you 2,000 Euros. That's over $2,800 in U.S. dollars!
After seeing the vineyard, we walked the rest of the somewhat steep way to Montmartre. Montmartre is known for 2 things. Its basilica and the artists that sell their paintings there. We got to see the artists first. They inhabited a square that also had a number of restaurants and shops. A number of the artists did portraits for people as they sat. From what I could see, they were very good. I have no idea however what one of the portraits would cost.
Susan walked us up to where the basilica was and where our meeting point would be, the incline rail station. She also made sure we knew the departure time. After that, we were free to look around and have some dinner in one of the restaurants.
I decided to check out the basilica. It is called the Basilica de Sacre Coeur. In English, that means the Basilica of the Sacred Heart. It's a beautiful church and is on top of a hill that overlooks much of Paris. The views of Paris from the base of the church are awesome. The church itself is a relatively new construction built I believe in very early 1900. When I entered the church, a service was going. I quietly watched. A man who may been a bishop gave a sermon in French. Sadly, I couldn't understand a word of his sermon. After watching the proceedings for about 15 minutes, I quietly left. Harvey was accompanying me and we debated what to do next. Neither of us were starving thanks to the big lunch we had at the Hard Rock Cafe. We opted for some ice cream. We found a shop that sold ice cream and I got to try out my French trying to place my order. I guess my French wasn't disastrous as I got what I wanted ice cream wise.
After that, we wandered around the square and admired some of the artist's paintings. Then, we walked back up to the base of the basilica and listened to an unknown busker perform various songs. He was very good and at times, the crowd joined in on some of the songs he sang.
After what seemed like a long wait, the rest of the group showed up and prepared to take the incline rail down to the base of the hill. I looked at how far down we had to go and decided to walk down. I thought the incline car was a waste going down. I could see how some might want to use it going up.
Once everyone was re-gathered,we walked to our bus which took us to the second part of our excursion that night, a boat ride on the river Seine. The boat was big and had a lot of seats. Unfortunately, we were the last ones to arrive so we got the dregs of the seats which was annoying. I opted to stand so I could get better views. The boat gave a talking tour in 4 or 5 languages of what we were passing as we went down and up the river. The river was lined with nice looking buildings and the 2 islands that formed Ile de France. It was from one of these islands inhabited by the Parisii tribe that the city got its name.
The cruise was nice and lasted over an hour and a half I think. After the cruise, we re-boarded our bus and headed back to our hotel. The next day, we would depart Paris for Rouen and Caen.

No comments: