Sunday, October 19, 2008

Limoges

We got a somewhat early start this morning. I suspect it was so we'd have more time at Limoges and St. Emilion. We departed Tours at 7:30 a.m. I believe we arrived at Limoges at 10 a.m. Limoges is famous for its porcelain. Before the 19th century, all porcelain came from China. The reason for this is because no one had found any deposits of kaolin clay. The clay is key to making porcelain as it gives its hardness and whiteness when fired. The clay was found in Limoges though initially no one realized what it was. The story our guide told us what that woman in Limoges used the clay to make her dirty linen whiter when washing it. A chemist heard of the clay and found out it was kaolin. Within 20 or 30 years, a number of porcelain factories had sprung up in Limoges. We visited the Bernardaod porcelain museum and factory store. A young man by the name of Simon gave us a tour of the museum. He explained what the raw materials were used in making porcelain, how molds were used to create pitchers, vases and various other items, how the item was glazed and lastly how it was fired. Personally, to my surprise, I found the whole process interesting. Some of the porcelain was very pretty.
After the tour of the museum, we got the chance to buy some Bernardaod porcelain. According to our guide, prices weren't any better at their factory store than what we could find in the states. Because of that, I held off buying anything as the less stuff I bought, the less stuff I had to lug around, declare to customs and lug home the better. I was impressed by the selection they had. I hope to get one of their catalogs as I saw some stuff I think my sister Eloise or mom Kay would like.
After the museum tour and chance to shop at the factory store, everyone got back on the bus. We would drive for another 2 hours before stopping for lunch at a highway restaurant. I forget where it was located. I do remember that a number of these restaurants weren't cheap. I remember spending over $20 for lunch at one of them. They're not a place to take your appetite if you want to have pity on your wallet. Our next major destination would be the wine town of St. Emilion.

No comments: