Tuesday, October 28, 2008

St. Emilion
We arrived at St. Emilion in the afternoon. It was a sightseeing stop where we could see some of the old wine making town. The town's history goes back to Roman times. When we arrived, they were holding a ceremony involving the Juraid. The Juraid is a body of officials that in Medieval times held political as well as economic power. Re-activated in 1947, it promotes the wines of the region. As you can see by the picture above, the town is surrounded by thousands of grape vines. Also, the town has scores of wine shops (no surprise there). It was something to walk around on the cobblestone streets checking out the old church and other shops. It was here that I remembered a couple friends at the Post Office and bought them gifts. One was a t-shirt that said I red heart St. Emilion. I thought it looked cute and, I'd promised her a t-shirt from France. I got the other friend a wall hanging that showed scenes of St. Emilion and says something in French. I haven't translated it to find out exactly what it says. I enjoyed checking out the town. Afterwards, we drove on to the city of Bordeaux where we spent the night. The next morning, we'd depart for Carcassone and Nimes.

No comments: