Sunday, October 08, 2006

Five Guys Burgers and Fries

A friend of mine at Medieval Times told me about a local burger chain called Five Guys. He said they made the best burgers in the Washington D.C. area. I promised him I'd try to check them out sometime. As I was driving home from another frustrating day at the Post Office, I looked up and saw a neon sign saying Five Guys. I thought about what my friend said about a hamburger chain called Five Guys and decided to see if it was one of their restaurants.

It turned out it was. I decided to keep my promise and bought a couple of their regular burgers and a large order of fries. The following are my thoughts on their burgers and fries.

The first thing I was impressed with was the list of free toppings Five Guys has. They have the standard ones of ketchup, tomatoes, pickles, mayonnaise and lettuce. Where they differ from the competition is they offer fried onions, green peppers, sauteed mushrooms, jalapeno peppers, bar-b-que sauce and A-1 sauce.

Another really nice difference is that they use freshly baked rolls for their burgers. These aren't your standard sesame seed buns from McDonalds. These are really good tasting rolls. The last thing I noted that was really nice was that you got two good sized burgers with the regular burgers. The result is that you get one BIG burger for your money. The only bad thing I could find with Five Guys burger was the price. The regular burger will set you back $3.99 each. That isn't cheap.

Concerning their french fries, they advertise that they cook them in peanut oil which has no cholesterol. To be perfectly honest, when I got to eat at a hamburger joint, the last thing I'm concerned about is my cholesterol. Hamburgers joints are not known for their healthy meals and if you're looking for one, you need to eat some place else. The fries themselves are nice and large and not heavily salted. They also weren't dripping with oil. I bought the large size and I thought I got a good size serving. The bad things I found with them were they are pricey. A large size will set you back $3.79. Flavor wise, I didn't think they were anything special. They also offer Cajun style fries which I haven't tried yet.

Another thing I should mention is the soft drinks. As I wasn't eating at their restaurant, I didn't buy one BUT I do think they offer a nice deal in this category. For $1.59, you get a 24 ounce drink WITH FREE REFILLS. I thought this was another really nice deal.

Overall, I think Five Guys sell excellent though pricey hamburgers. I don't see it as a place you could take a family to as it would be very expensive. If you want a really good hamburger and live in the Washington D.C. area, they are a place you should try out.

No comments: