Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Disastrous Day at Post Office

I had a disastrous day at the Post Office today. I was scheduled to do route 6 and went in around 7:30 a.m. All went well with sorting the mail though there was a heavy load of mail. I ended up with 9 trays and packages. Just before I left the Post Office, I started experiencing some stomach pain. I figured I could tough it out and do the route. I was wrong. The pain got progressively worse. I wondered what was wrong with me. I was afraid I'd come down with something that one of my co-workers there had. I called him and found out he had caught the flu though he was over it now. This seemed somewhat similar in that I was sweating, coughing some and had very bad stomach pains. The worst part was the stomach pain. Still, I tried to carry on and thought I could do the route though I knew I was going to do it slower than normal. From coughing, I started feeling like I was going to throw up. I wasn't happy about that and tried to keep it down. It didn't work. To my horror, I started throwing up right in front of the kiosk mail boxes. I called the Post Office for help because I knew now I wasn't going to finish the route. I also didn't want people seeing a sick mail carrier. As the throwing up continued, I decided to try to drive back to the Post Office. I managed to make it though I was still in pain. I was seriously bummed because this was the last thing I needed to have happen at the Post Office. I've done my best for them and want them to think highly of me. This fiasco isn't going to help me in that way.
I turned in the outgoing mail I had and the one accountable mail I took care of. I turned the keys over to my truck to the supervisor on duty. One lady mentioned about taking some antacids which I turned down. I've never needed to use those that I can remember. I suddenly had to make a fast walk to the bathroom where I upchucked again though thankfully in one of the commodes. Also, thankfully this was the last time I threw up. After that, I managed to drive home where I tried laying down. The pain seem to lessen while laying down but it didn't go away. I decided to consult a home diagnose book I got while in the military. Based on what my symptoms were, it sounded like antacids would solve the stomach pain. I shakily ran over to Wal-Mart and bought a bottle of their ultra antacids. I took two, laid down and waited for them to work. Thankfully, they did. The stomach pain is gone though my stomach is still touchy. I ate some crackers for energy and potato chips for the salt, drank some water to put some fluids back in me, and took another three antacids to keep the stomach settled. I plan to rest tomorrow and hopefully I'll get over whatever it was that caused my stomach to go off. I don't know what set my stomach off and caused me to get sick. I don't think I ate anything outlandish for breakfast that would've set it off. Normally, when I do eat something that sets it off, I'll throw up and the pain will go away. It didn't this time which I think strange. The one bright side of this whole mess is it looks like I don't have the flu. Hopefully, I'll still be in the Post Office's good graces when I return. We'll see.

No comments: