Friday, October 20, 2006

Automatic Renewals

Recently, I had two different on-line companies automatically renew their services without me realizing it until I got the bill. That's why I'm posting this blog entry. Please double check the terms of the contract before you order. In the case of Classmates.com, you'll want to remove the automatic renewal. Once they bill you automatically, you can't get your money back with them. Fortunately, it was only $40 with Classmates.com. With TrueCredit, my mistake cost me $120! I suspect it is a very lucrative move by the companies as they can legally say they informed the customer and it helps them generate more business. I confess I don't like it as I think it is a bit scammish but I realize it is the customer's responsibility to look out for such things. So, the next time you order a membership to something or a product like credit warnings watch out for the automatic renewals. It could end up costing you more than you expected.

No comments: