Sunday, October 15, 2006

Executioner

I got to play the executioner at Medieval Times for the first time this past Friday. It is the most challenging role I've had so far at Medieval Times. For starters, the executioner isn't allowed to talk. He can only make various grunts as well as use various body movements to make himself understood. The executioner is supposed to be sinister and scary. You only get to see the executioner's eyes and they must instill a slight tingle of fear when they look at the customer. The executioner also makes money for the castle. The castle has a set of fake stocks where people put their head and hands in and the executioner brings down his mighty ax so it looks like they're having their head chopped off. The photos are a neat spoof photo. A number of kids and adults find it fun to get the photo taken. They cost $10 each. The executioner is supposed to help drum up business in that way.

I found the job challenging. I constantly mingled with the customers and sought to put a little fear in the kids. In some cases, it didn't work. I had one cute little girl come up and hug me. Some boys who came for the show gave me high 5's. Still, the kids for the most part seemed to enjoy what I did. I only scared two kids badly which I regretted. My main aim was to make their visit more enjoyable. I want them to come back for another visit. I'd also really like it if they would mention that I helped make their visit more enjoyable on the comment cards which are left by the food servers at the end of the meal. Photo wise, I helped sell seven photos which I thought good for the size crowd we had. The bosses should be pleased about that.

Improvement wise, I need to be more careful about how I handle the ax. It isn't at all sharp but it is BIG and it is conceivable that I could accidentally hit someone with it. I also need to further develop my version of the character. Every person who plays the executioner plays it differently. Each person has to come up with their own unique version as this is the one they'll be comfortable with and most easily play.

I don't know when I'll get to play executioner again. Hopefully, I'll get another go at it sometime soon. I look forward to it as it is a fun and challenging role. It also gives me another chance to do what I can to make the customer's visit an enjoyable experience. That is my ultimate objective. If I do that, I'll be doing my bit in promoting Medieval Times dinner and show.

No comments: