Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Recycling

I've been collecting aluminum cans, glass jars, plastic jugs, cardboard, magazines, old phone books, and mixed paper for a couple months now. I was determined to do my bit as the British say for recycling. A friend of mine where I used to work got me turned on to the idea and, I think he would be very proud of me. Today, it was time to load the car up and take it to the county recycling depot. It was an uneventful drive barring wondering if I'd take the right turn offs this time. One time, I didn't and ended taking unexpected tours of the Harbor and Fort McHenry tunnels. This time, thankfully, I made it without mishap and offloaded all my recyclables. I was pleased with myself.
The day before I recycled in another way. I took a large garbage sack of clothes, a table I no longer needed, ice cube trays that became redundant with my automatic ice maker in the fridge, and some dish racks that hadn't seen use in years thanks to a dishwashing machine to the Salvation Army Thrift Shop. Hopefully, all those things will be sold to someone who can put them to good use. One of these days, I'll have to go around to the front of the shop and see what they have for sale. Maybe, I'll get to use someone's old CDs or find a cheap pair of blue jeans. The Salvation Army may not come to mind when you recycle but it does in its way. It also helps a good cause who are there when people need help all over the world. If you have junk cluttering up your place, you might want to think about donating it to them. It'll get it out of your hair, help a good cause, and reuse something that otherwise might needlessly fill a landfill. This link may help you find the closest thrift shop/donation center near you: http://www1.salvationarmy.org/uss/www_uss_natcaparea.nsf. Cheers!

No comments: