Thursday, January 26, 2006

Book Review - The Magician's Nephew

Recently, I saw the movie The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. (See my last movie review) It was an absolutely fantastic movie that I'd recommend to everyone. However, the movie at the end raised some questions with me. Professor Kirke at the end explains to Lucy when she is clearly wishing to return to Narnia that she will get to return only if the power at the other end clearly wishes her to. This implies that Professor Kirke knows about the power at the other end i.e. Aslan. How would Professor Kirke know about Aslan that well if he hadn't known himself? The obvious conclusion is that Professor Kirke did know Aslan. I decided I wanted to find out more. While visiting Sam's Club, I found a nice complete set of the Chronicles of Narnia. I found out that there was a book prior to The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. This book is called The Magician's Nephew.

The Magician's Nephew is the first of seven books which form the Chronicles. In it, we find out how Narnia was created (Aslan created it through a song), how the Witch came into Narnia (Diggory Kirke i.e. later Professor Kirke caused the Witch to be awakened and he brought the Witch into Narnia in order to get her out of our world), how the talking creatures were (Aslan picked certain pairs of animals whom he gave special intelligence and the ability to talk), and how the wardrobe was created that the Pevensey children use to get into Narnia (Professor Kirke had it made from the wood of a tree that grew from an apple he brought back from Narnia). The book helps explain a lot about Narnia, Aslan, Professor Kirke, the Witch, and the inhabitants of Narnia. I thought it helped a person better understand the Narnia movie and would recommend it in part in that way. Another reason I'd recommend the book is simply because it is a very sweet book. It tells of Diggory's great love for his mother and what he does to save her. It is also a great tale of friendship between Diggory and Polly Plummer. Kids should particularly love the book though there is one catch as there is in the Narnia movie.

The book has unquestionable references to themes in the bible. Diggory representing Adam is the one who brings evil or sin in the form of the Witch into the world. The lion Aslan creates the new world of Narnia just as Jesus Christ in his deity created our world and the universe. Aslan also gives a man and a woman authority over all the creatures of Narnia just as God supposedly gave Adam in our world. I'm certain there are other connections but that should be sufficient to give you an idea of what you'll find in it. Like the movie, if you're a liberal, an atheist, or someone who doesn't care for Christian themes, this book is NOT for you. If you're Christian on the other hand, the allegories to themes in the bible make it even more delightful.
One thing I was a little puzzled by was why didn't the movie makers make a movie of the first book. In my opinion, it was just as good as the second. I can only guess that there are too many religious connections in it. Also, there aren't any great battles and while the Witch is unmistakably evil, she isn't any where as evil as she is in the second book.

Overall, I'd heartily recommend the book, especially to someone who watched the Narnia movie. It does explain a lot of how things came to be for the second book and movie.

In regards to the second book, I plan to read that next and, I'll let you know how that is. I confess, I'm curious to see how much it differs from the movie. My sister Ellie has told me that the movie was actually very close to the book. We'll see. Stay tuned for my book review on The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

2 comments:

kairosnow said...

hey...good post. enjoyed it. Hope you like my post on Narnia.

Andy said...

Ditto, stumbled on you through Chez. Being a CS Lewis nut, I thought I'd let you know that The Lion The Witch & the Wardrobe was actually the 1st of the 7 books written by Lewis. It was only in recent years that the publishers began publishing the books in chronological order of the events in the stories, as opposed to by publication date.

By order of publication, Lion was 1st, then Caspian, Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair, A Horse and His Boy, The Magician's Nephew, then The Last Battle.

Hope this clears up any confusion. Take care!