Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Movie Review - Pirates of the Caribbean

My sister Ellie and my friend Tami would be shocked. I finally broke down and watched a movie. I own something like 60 or 70 movies on DVD and haven't watched at least half of them. Some of them I've owned for over 2 years or more. I've been promising my sister Ellie that I would finally watch "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Sahara." Well, I finally watched "Pirates of the Caribbean" and here is what I think of it.
"Pirates of the Caribbean" is a fun movie. If you want lots of double crossing pirates, sword play, cannon fire, and treasure, "Pirates of the Caribbean" is for you. I found it a very fun movie to watch though I did take issue with its subtle moral measure that people aren't entirely evil. The hero played by Johnny Depp is a case in point. He is a pirate who robs ships and kills people but we find that he also has a kind and brave heart. It is impossible to not love his character. The other hero in the movie played by Orlando Bloom (re: Legolas in the Lord of the Rings movies) finds this out in time. If we go by this moral message, we can say Saddam Hussein wasn't all bad because he did take good care of his mother and loved his wives while he calmly massacred the Kurds and the Shia. The fact is some people overall are pure and simply bad. Pirates for all our idolizing of them were for the overwhelming part BAD and deserved what the punishment they got. However, as long as we ignore this moral message, we can sit back and enjoy this really well done fantasy tale movie. Barring the subtle moral message, I very much enjoyed it and would heartily recommend this movie to anyone who wants to watch some fun escapist fare.

No comments: