Saturday, January 21, 2006

Movie Review - The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

I'd heard good things about The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe and I decided to check it out. Today, I took my friend Tami to see it. If you are a liberal, an atheist, or someone who hates Christian theology, this movie is not for you. C.S. Lewis became a devout Christian and loaded the story with Christian allegory. At one point in the movie, the Lion who's name is Aslan (I don't know how that may have a tie into Christianity) is beaten, shorn, bound, and executed. He later vanishes and rises from the dead. The stone that he lay on in death is broken. The two girls who play the true daughters of Eve stand by his dead body and grieve for him. All of these have clear associations with Jesus Christ. There are other allegories which I won't cover in this review. I think if you're a Christian or someone wants to take a kid to a movie that sends a good moral message, this movie is for you. I found it absolutely fantastic. The story itself is outstanding. The special effects done by WETA Workshop for top notch, and the fight scenes are very exciting. I would strongly recommend this film to anyone barring the three groups I mentioned at the beginning of this blog. I definitely plan to buy it when it comes out on DVD. I also plan to buy and read the books which I've never read.

On a slightly different topic, while watching the previews, I found out that a second Pirates of the Caribbean movie will be coming out this summer. I thought the first one was fantastic and I look forward to the second one. Johnny Depp plays an awesome pirate. Based on the preview, it looks like it's going to be another great movie. We'll see. Keep your eyes alert for this new forthcoming flick.

No comments: