Saturday, July 13, 2013

Scooters in Bermuda



During my 3rd excursion in Bermuda, the tour stopped in Hamilton, the capital of Bermuda. I walked around a little and noticed this huge collection of scooters parked in a parking lot for them by the harbor. Scooters make sense in Bermuda. The maximum allowed speed in Bermuda is 30 miles per hour (so I was told) which is within the range of a 49cc scooter. Gas is expensive in Bermuda and, scooters get great gas mileage. My first motorbike was a Yamaha Vino Classic i.e. scooter and, it got at least 82 miles to the gallon. Also, scooters are very affordable compared to a car. I paid top dollar for mine and, it came to around $3,000. I know you can get one for a lot less than that though I don't have any idea what they cost in Bermuda. Still, they have to be cheaper than a car. Also, you can carry a fair amount of stuff on a scooter. The storage compartment underneath my Vino Classic could hold a bag and a half of groceries and, you could install an additional storage compartment behind the seat. The only downside I can see to a scooter is you are exposed to the elements however, I think the sun shines a lot in Bermuda so, this wouldn't be a problem. I was tempted to rent one however, that was pricey. I heard prices of between $55 and $80 an hour plus, you had to fill up the tank when you were done. Still, I think it would be fun to ride one in Bermuda. It would be a great way to see the island. I wanted to show off my TMAX there so bad but, my TMAX wouldn't be allowed in Bermuda because the engine is too big. I heard there was a law limiting the size of the engines there to 150cc though the police have a waiver and have motorcycles that have 700cc engines. One of the tour guides there told me scooter accidents are a problem in Bermuda as apparently riders go too fast for the conditions and, car drivers don't pay enough attention for scooters. I suspect the 2nd reason is a problem here in the United States too.

If you make it to Bermuda, you might want to consider seeing Bermuda by scooter. I think it would be a fun way to see the island. Happy riding all!

No comments: