Sunday, July 14, 2013

Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas



I try to take a picture of each ship I sail on with Royal Caribbean. That way, I can better remember the ship. The top picture is of the Grandeur of the Seas while in port at the Dockyard in Bermuda. The second picture shows the Grandeur side by side with Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas. The 2 ships met twice during my Caribbean cruise. The first time was in Philipsburg, St. Maarten and the 2nd time was in Labadee, Haiti. The picture you see of the 2 ships was taken at Labadee. It was interesting to see the differences between the 2 ships. The Freedom of the Seas ship is of the Liberty Class and, it was a LOT bigger than the Grandeur. The Grandeur is the 2nd smallest class ship Royal Caribbean has (the smallest is the Sovereign Class).

I found the Grandeur of the Seas a very nice. It had recently undergone a $48 million dollar renovation. It looked in fine shape. Interestingly, the day I boarded the ship for the first time in San Juan, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Coast Guard was on board and were putting the ship's crew through all kinds of tests. Initially, I couldn't get to my cabin because they were simulating a fire in the section where my cabin was. Later, the Coast Guard had the ship launch 7 of its lifeboats for unknown reasons. I was stunned when I heard of the fire on board the ship 2 and 1/2 weeks after I'd left it. From what I saw, the ship's crew shouldn't have had any problems dealing with the fire. From my experiences on board the ship, I gladly sail on it again and recommend it to anyone.

No comments: