Friday, July 25, 2008

Badge

I forgot my rural carrier badge this morning when I went rushing out the door. Unlike city carriers (they wear uniforms), the only thing a rural carrier has to prove they are a legitimate mail carrier is their badge. Also, you need your badge when you set up your scanner in the morning. The badge has a bar code the scanner reads and matches to a name in its memory. If you forget your badge, you have to try to remember what your employee ID number is and enter it manually into the scanner. It's a real pain. The scanner is important because you use that to enter all the delivery confirmations, insured mails and accountable mails. If you don't scan those, you get in big trouble with the Post Office. Supposedly, they lose money if you don't do those scans.
After I turned left onto Russett Green Road, I realized something was missing. I looked at my chest and realized my Post Office pens and badge weren't there. I let out a curse and looked for a place where I could do a u-turn. I drove back to my apartment, picked up my badge and pens and headed to the Post Office AGAIN. I counted my blessings I didn't get all the way to the Post Office before realizing that I'd forgotten my badge. Thankfully, this wasn't a omen of things to come as mail was light and it ended up being an easy day. Cheers all!

No comments: