Sunday, September 30, 2007

Scam Emails

I've received two scam emails in the last couple days. Both were attempts to get account information which would've been used to steal money from me. One was allegedly from Bank of America and the other was from Amazon. Unfortunately, such emails are becoming more common now a days. People need to be very careful who they give their bank or credit card information out to. If you suspect the email is legitimate, instead of replying to the email, check with the company or bank directly. That way, you can safely check into the matter. If it's legitimate, the bank or company won't mind you contacting them. If it isn't, you won't have given your account information to a thief.
I still haven't forgotten when a thief or thieves got ahold of my Northwest Airlines credit card number. They charged over $500 worth of Greyhound bus tickets to it which presumably they could return and get a refund for the tickets. I noticed the fraudulent charges on my credit card bill at once and reported them to the credit card company. I had to cancel that credit card, get a new one and write a letter to the credit card company about the fraudulent charges. I got lucky in that I didn't have to pay the charges but, it did create a lot hassle. Make sure you use caution when giving credit card or bank account information out. It can save you some possible grief later.

No comments: