Thursday, September 06, 2007

Flam

The Norwegians are incredibly blessed. I've never seen such beautiful waterfalls, massive mountains and stunning fjords. You can point out the difficulties the fjords cause trying to cross them. You can point out that the massive mountains make it very hard to get around Norway and, it does. And, waterfalls don't do a lot of good barring looking pretty. Still, the waterfalls, mountains and fjords make this one of the most picturesque countries I've ever visited.
We arrived at the Fletheim Hotel in Flam just in time to catch the Flam-Myrdal train. The train goes through some incredibly beautiful countryside. I kept getting excited about every waterfall and tried to take a picture of each one. By the time we returned to Flam, I must've had over 30 pictures of waterfalls. I couldn't believe how many they had. Before I went to Australia, I'd never seen one. I know of only four waterfalls in the U.S. There is the Niagara Falls and Horseshoe Falls in New York and there are two waterfalls in Yellowstone National Park. I've never seen any of them. Because of that, it has been a treat to see a waterfall. Norway is a waterfall paradise. After a while in this country, you become a connoisseur of waterfalls. They have so many kinds. It's really incredible.
After the train ride, I managed to satisfy my internet fix and posted a blog on Lillehammer. Then, it was time for dinner. The Fletheim Hotel did itself proud. It was another one of those buffets where if you didn't leave stuffed, you weren't trying. Another nice thing about the hotel was its location. Its snuggled between mountains and right next to a beautiful small harbor. It was a very pretty location.
After a super dinner, it was time to crash. We had more exciting things to look forward to. We were to take a 2-hour cruise on the Sojnefjord, Norway's largest fjord. After that, we were to drive to Bergen, once a member city of the Hanseatic League. New adventures awaited. Stay tuned for further posts on my exciting Scandanavian adventure.

No comments: