Monday, December 23, 2013

E- book Review of Cruise Ships Ports and Tips - An Under and Over View by Steve Duell

Beginning in August of 1992, Steve Duell began working on various cruise ships as a singer and guitar instrumentalist. After many years, he wrote an e-book titled Cruise Ships Ports and Tips - An Under and Over View. This is a review of that e-book.

Judging from the title of Duell's e-book, you would assume it's about various ports and tips to travelers cruising to them. While Duell does give information on some of the 30 ports he traveled to while working on cruise ships, in my opinion, the book isn't so much a book about those ports as it's a glimpse into what it's like to work on a cruise ship. This is what really interested me about the 93 page e-book. As my readers know, I did an All Access tour on Royal Caribbean's Splendour of the Seas. I found the tour really interesting because you get to see what goes on behind the scenes. In Duell's e-book, you get to read about what it's like from someone who actually worked on at least 10 different cruise ships. It isn't all wine and roses. There are long hours and long separations from family. Another thing that is trying for those who work on the cruise ships is they work for set time contracts - 6 month minimum up to a year (I believe). After that, you out-process from the ship, go home and wait to see if they offer you another contract. This part of working on the ships would really dissuade me from working on them. For Duell, I suspect it wasn't a problem because he's used to working from gig to gig. For him, it would be a plus in a way in that he would have 6 months of guaranteed gigs plus room, board and the chance to travel thrown in.

The only negative I have about Duell's e-book was I felt it needed more editing. I found misspelled words and missing words in other sentences. These imperfections however are minor compared to the interesting information he shares. Also, Duell's e-book isn't expensive. Barnes & Noble sells it for $2.99 and, it doesn't take that long to download it.

Overall, I thought it an interesting and affordable short read. If you want more information on Duell, his website is: www.onebusyguy.com Happy reading all!

No comments: